Deadline: March 31, 2023
Purposes for the Wilson Center/Sasakawa Peace Basis Japan Scholar Programme 2023 are now open. The Wilson Center’s Asia Programme and the Sasakawa Peace Foundation’s Japan-U.S. Programme are soliciting programs for their joint Japan Scholar Programme centered in Washington DC. The fellowship is one of the most really revered and competitive positions that market academic study on important locations of US-Japan relations.
A effective applicant will invest up to 6 months in residence at the Woodrow Wilson Heart where he/she will carry out superior, policy-oriented research and composing developed to bridge the hole concerning the tutorial and coverage communities. The size of the Japan Scholar’s appointment will be identified according to his or her own needs and the Wilson Center’s offered sources.
Responsibilities of Scholars
- This is a household fellowship centered in Washington, and Japan Scholars will be envisioned to carry out a entire plan of rigorous investigate and crafting primarily based on the topic outlined in the analysis proposal submitted at the time of application.
- They will also be expected to take part in workshops, seminars, and conferences arranged by the Center’s many packages such as the Asia Programme, and in other techniques to take part in the intellectual lifetime of the Wilson Heart and the much larger local community of Asia observers in Washington. Japan Scholars are predicted to publish their function in U.S. and Japanese publications.
- Spherical ticket airfare of up to $5,000
- Month-to-month stipend (somewhere around $6,000 per month) and healthcare cost (somewhere around $2,000 per month).
- Open to citizens or legal everlasting citizens of Japan. Applications will be acknowledged from persons in academia, company, journalism, govt, law, and connected professions.
- Candidates need to be at this time pursuing analysis on vital public coverage troubles going through Japan, which includes U.S.-Japanese relations and East Asian political, protection, and economic issues.
- Applicants ought to have the terminal diploma in their subject (for lecturers, this frequently indicates a Ph.D., but for other professions other appropriate qualifications will be considered), and at the very least 8 several years of skilled and/or exploration expertise. Preferences will be given to applicants who have published scholarly guides or significant posts in educational or coverage-related journals or newspapers.
- Students should have a valid passport and will need to qualify for a U.S. J-1 visa. Despite the fact that the Wilson Centre cannot administer healthcare coverage or present housing for going to scholars, it will deliver strategies and steering in finding suited housing as perfectly as healthcare. Scholars will be accountable for paying for and administering their healthcare insurance policy all through their stay in the United States. Applicants will have to be professionally fluent in both prepared and spoken English.
- Importance of the proposed investigate, including the value and originality of the venture
- Top quality of the proposal in definition, firm, clarity and scope
- Capabilities and achievements of the applicant and
- Relevance of the job to modern policy troubles pertaining to Japan.
- Willingness to take part in the broader Wilson Heart community and add to intellectual trade among scholars and resident industry experts,
- Capability to lead to the exchange of tips in Washington’s foreign coverage group and over and above,
- The two letters of recommendation – the names of the referees ought to be submitted alongside one another with the application doc bundle. There is no have to have to post the suggestion letters on their own with the software documents.
- Immediately after the first-spherical assortment, the selection committee will request candidates speak to referees to mail their letters immediately to the committee in advance of the online interview check.
The following paperwork have to be submitted by March 31, 2023. All documents have to be composed in English.
- cover letter (Fundamental information and facts like identify, address, e-mail deal with, research theme, name of referees, need to be involved.)
- C.V. or resume
- Analysis achievements
- short (3-5 single-spaced webpages) description of their proposed exploration task, its scholarly contribution, and its plan relevance. Job descriptions must incorporate:
- in depth clarification of the analysis matter
- discussion of the project’s originality
- discussion of the strategies, ways, resources, and components to be used, and, exactly where appropriate, the worth of Washington-area methods and
- dialogue of the significance of the undertaking as well as its relevance to modern day Japan-linked coverage difficulties.
Application letters ought to be submitted by means of e-mail to the pursuing deal with: [email protected]
For more facts, go to Japan Scholar Programme.